My upstairs neighbor has been using spray paint for various home projects. Today, when I got home from work I noticed the smell inside my apartment and I AM ENRAGED...before I start a feud, I want to know if anyone knows for sure how bad this is for DJ???
The painting is being done both in the upstairs apartment and also downstairs in the basement. The strongest of the smell in confined to one of my closets above the basement but today it is definitely throughout my apartment. I have opened my windows and my air purifier has been running all day, DJ is acting totally normal but not sure what I should be looking for if it is affecting him in anyway.
WHAT DO I DO ABOUT THIS?????????????
Last Edit: Jan 12, 2012 14:20:44 GMT -7 by welovedj
Paint fumes can cause irritation to the eyes and respiratory system. I have only ever used low VOC water based paints in the house and these have very little odour. Spray paint might not fall into this category so would be more hazardous. How long is your neighbour going to be doing this painting?
Hi DEEEG, I'd tell them that you had breathing problems like asthma and the fumes are killing you. If they persist, call the police and say that there are explosive smelling fumes leaching into your apartment and if they are strong in there, they must be be very volatile at the point of source. It says on the label to use in a well ventilated area; and it is obvious they are not. Two things: they can't do anything that disturbs you no matter the time of day, and the Fire Department would love to admonish them for creating an explosive atmosphere. Call either department like you don't know who is doing it so they will not find out who complained, thus removing any outward feud. Don't let them kill my boy, K? K! TTYL, Dr.P
Pete - CAG Sisika - CAG Andi - TAG (I will always love you)
"Live your life so that you wouldn't be afraid to sell the family parrot to the town gossip" Will Rogers 1879 - 1935 TOO LATE!
Well...right after I posted this, I heard the wife come home from work so I jetted out into the hallway and as soon as she saw my quick movements, my face and smelled the smell in the hallway she immediately said "I am so sorry" this is unacceptable, I haven't been home all day and he has been painting indoors when I asked him not to. So there goes the arguing as soon as she got upstairs.
Dr P - my husband is asthmatic and like I told the neighbor, my husband is still working but I think you'd rather deal with my husband when it comes to his asthma than deal with me when it comes to my bird.
If this project is going to continue, I need to know exactly when because I can't come home to this smell not knowing how long my bird has been breathing this in. If you will do it during the day, I will take him to work with me. If you do when I am home, I can open windows, move him to my bedroom or bring him to my mom's (mom scares them) I also threw my mom into the mix again saying between hubby's asthma, my headache and my poor bird we might have to sleep at my mom's tonight if this smell does not go away soon...
Shortly after my conversation with wife, my husband came home and the smell was pretty much gone but then upstairs husband came down and knocked on our door to apologize and promised not to spraypaint anywhere in the house again. We shall see how this goes.
The reason my mom scares them is because they know I do have some "pull" because my mom is in charge of the maintenance office at my condo complex and she was livid and all ready to call in all the troops...building inspectors, FDNY, Dept of Environmental Protection, she was going all crazy but I told her I would speak to them nicely before she sends over inspectors or issues them a fine.
well, over christmas, the nieces, nephews & I were tasked to produce new tree decorations, so we cut out all sorts of things from cardboard and using glitter glue, glitter sprinkles, paperglue & spray paint set to, creating all sorts of wierd things. We did all of this on our "oak tree" patio - so called for the 100 year old tree in the middle of the brick paved area, lovely cool & shady during the height of summer. This patio just happens to be between the main house & my granny flat, and while we were being busy, his highness decided to come out of the granny flat to investigate all the joyous sounds and new smells. I stopped the smelly stuff as soon as I noticed his highness BUT, the lunatic bird then proceeded to give his own interpretation of lace trimmings to all the easily accessible doily decorations, and, once all of these had been lifted to safety, then proceeded to try and tackle the spray paint tins, glue bottles, scissors, glitter tubes etc. I am kicking myself now that I never took a photo, but he made quite a mess, and it took about a week for all the glitter to finally get off his feet, tail and pantaloons! I am sure it did him no good, but I am also equally sure that he will not even notice!
Lucky - CAG
Qogi - X-Breed woof
Miss Gracie - Yorkie queen, highness & imperial mistress of all she surveys
Claw Cat - birman - SERIOUSLY owns the universe
Mumsy - the most polite cat ever